Federal Center (BZ) for Inclusive and Special Needs Education
Austria-wide coordination and interconnection of the universities
- Creation of an inclusive system at the university level
- Development of the curricula in the context of the new teacher education program
- Development of research projects on national as well as international levels
- Representation of the Ministry of Education at the European Agency for Special Needs and Inclusive Education
The federal center "Inclusive and Special Needs Education" is concerned with the following areas of responsibility, objectives and areas
Areas of responsibility:
- The federal center makes an important contribution to the professionalization of teachers. Primary it supports the quality development of institutions of teachers education to become inclusive universities.
- The BZ initiates, supports, coordinates and disseminates models and concepts in the main areas of „inclusive education“ and "special needs education" in context of the new teacher education as well as the building of inclusive regions and the continuing education and training.
- The BZ interlinks educational, specialized didactic, organizational and structural themes in the educational system and supports or initiates scientific accompanying research.
- The BZ cooperates in these areas with national and international partner institutions and organizations, in particular with the other universities for teachers education as well as the European Agency for Special Needs and Inclusive Education.
- Theoretical and conceptual advancement (inclusion & special needs education, teachers education and school system)
- Initiation, accompanying and evaluation of research and development projects
- Interlinking of teacher competence with science and the dissemination of the results
- Establishing of the federal center with the necessary interlinking structures
- Advancement and consolidation of the “inclusive and special needs education" in the context of the new teacher education program as well as in the area of advanced training and continuing education
- Support of organizations who want to become „inclusive universities“
- Involvement of the „inclusive and special needs education“ in decisions of education policy (as for example the phases for school starting, NMS, SQA, new final exam, inclusive regions, etc.)
- Advancement and coordination of interlinking structures and knowledge management in Austria
- Initiation, accompaniment and cooperation in national and international research and development projects in the areas inclusive and special needs education.
- Representation of the Ministryof Education at the European Agency for Special Needs and Inclusive Education in the positions "Representative Board Member" and "National Coordinator"
(Extract of the paper from the bm:ukk (Ministry of Education), 2013)